Monday, January 18, 2010

It Sucks Eating Vegetables

Drastic times call for drastic measures.  While I'm waiting for a neon sign to tell me what to do about trying to have that surgery, I'm trying something drastic.

WAIT!  I just had a brilliant idea!  I like to write.  I'm a comedic genius!  I've got over 20 people reading this blog!  A PUBLISHING COMPANY SHOULD SPONSOR MY SURGERY, and I can write a book about it and use any extra money it makes to go to Africa and help little babies!!!!   OK - which of you 20 or so people can make that happen!  Willy!!

Back to what I'm doing.  Last week my church announced a church wide fast.  They suggested doing a Daniel Fast - this is a fast based on the book of Daniel where Daniel and fiery furnace dudes were kidnapped cause they were so hot and smart.  They were put to work for the King and instead of eating steak and potatoes, they requested to only eat veggies. 

If you would like to know more about the Bible, don't hesitate to ask :) 

My interpretation of the Daniel Fast is to only eat grown things.  Now usually when I'm told I'm supposed to fast, I'm like HA!  If you told me a few months ago I had to give up Starbucks Americanos for more than a day, I would have fallen down and died on the spot.  But after all this stuff happening, when I heard about this I realized I needed something to help me get my life back on track. 

My relationship with food is an addiction that controls me.  I'm tired of it controlling me.  I'm tired of the chips and queso whispering, "Eat Me" every time I go out to eat.  I'm tired of shoving food into my mouth so fast that half of it falls on my shirt and my friends laugh at me.  I'm tired of spending so much money on food and being broke at the end of each pay period when I make plenty.  

So I'm hoping that a week of eating only things I don't really like or want that much will teach me that I can say no to the cheese and junk food and the breakfast sandwich that seems so much easier than eating something at home in the mornings.  

It's been a week now.  I have not eaten anything not grown - except for communion - I hope God gives me a pass on that one.  What a conundrum! 


It's been hard.  But not that hard.  I'm alive.  I did start twitching and had to hold myself down in the chair on the night my sister ordered pizza and ate it in front of me.  It was disappointing to turn down 2 invitations to go out, but I wasn't sure I could survive going out to eat and watching everyone else eat good stuff while I had broccoli.  Other than that though it has not drastically ruined my life not eat what ever I have the urge to stick in my mouth.  Let us remember this lesson in the coming months.  


Tasty Food  does not equal happiness.  









 

1 comment: